Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Monksilver
"MONKSILVER, a parish in the hundred of Williton, county Somerset, 3 miles W. of the Williton railway station, 10 S.E. of Minehead, and 14 N.W. of Taunton, its post town. The village is inconsiderable and wholly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlet of Woodford. The soil consists of a sandy loam, with a subsoil of marl. The surface forms part of a narrow vale, and has some excellent meadow land. There are great facilities for irrigation, which increases the natural fertility of the soil. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £210. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £270, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a square tower containing five bells. There is a National school for both sexes. James Thomas B. Notley, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner."
"WOODFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Monksilver, county Somerset, 3 miles S. of Watchet."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]