Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for National Gazetteer (1868) - Montacute

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

National Gazetteer (1868) - Montacute

"MONTACUTE, a parish in the hundred of Tintinhull, county Somerset, 4 miles N.W. of the Yeovil railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is chiefly agricultural. It is situated on the road from Yeovil to Ilminster, near the Durston and Yeovil branch of the Bristol and Exeter railway. The parish includes the hamlets of Bishopstone and Hyde. It was formerly called Logaresburch by the Saxons, and returned members to parliament in the 33rd of Edward I. On Hampden Hill are extensive freestone quarries, near to which is a double-moated Roman camp nearly 3 miles in circumference, and further defended on the N.W. by a high rampart partly of stone, enclosing a space of 20 acres, where many Roman coins have been found. In this parish is also a tower, 60 feet in height, on the site of a castle built by William Earl of Moreton, a relative of William the Conqueror, who gave to the place its present name. He also founded a Cluniac priory, the gateway of which is still in a good state of preservation. The remains have been converted into a farmhouse.

The soil consists of clay, and in some places sand, with a subsoil of clay upon freestone. The land is chiefly arable, but well wooded. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £190 10s. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £190. The church, dedicated to St. Catherine, is an ancient stone structure with a tower containing five bells. The interior of the church contains monuments of the Phelips family, one of which dates from 1484. There is a National school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. The Baptists have a chapel, at which a Sunday-school is held. Montacute is an ancient mansion, from which extensive views are obtained. William Phelips, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."

"BISHOPSTONE, a tything in the parish of Montacute, and hundred of Tintinhull, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles to the W. of Yeovillage"

"HYDE, a tything in the parish of Montacute, county Somerset, 4 miles N. W. of Yeovillage"

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]