GENUKI Home page
Moorlinch Moorlinch     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Moorlinch

"MOORLINCH, (or Murlinch), a parish in the hundred of Whitley, county Somerset, 3,f, miles from Shapwick railway station, and 7 E. of Bridgwater. The village, which is considerable and wholly agricultural, is situated on the Bath and Exeter road. The parish includes the hamlets of Burtle, Calcott, Chilton, Edington, Stawell, and Sutton-Mallett. The soil is chiefly clay on a substratum of blue and white lias, which is quarried for building and ornamental uses. Here was formerly a cell to the abbey of Glastonbury. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, with the curacies of Stawell and Sutton-Mallet annexed, value £500. The parish church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing five bells. The register dates from 1550. In addition to the parish church are the following district churches, viz: Chilton-on-Polden with Edington, Burtle, and Catcott, the livings of which are all perpetual curacies, varying in value from £120 to £100. The parochial charities produce about £152 per annum. There is a National school, also Sunday schools. The Independents have a place of worship. Benjamin Cuff Greenhill, Esq., is lord of the manor.

"BURTLE, a hamlet in the chapelry of Edington, and parish of Moorlinch, hundred of Whitley, in the county of Somerset, 5 miles to the E. of Bridgwater."

"CHILTON-UPON-POLDEN, a chapelry in the parish of Moorlinch, in the hundred of Whitley, in the county of Somerset, 5 miles E. of Bridgwater, and 3 S.W. of the Edington railway station. It has lately been constituted a parish for ecclesiastical purposes under Sir Robert Peel's Act. The living is a perpetual curacy annexed to the perpetual curacy* of Edington, in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £120, in the patronage of the Rev. R. J. Luscombe. The tithes were commuted in 1839. The church is a plain stone edifice. The Independents have a place of worship. The charities are about £5 per annum. The moor is celebrated for its beautiful specimens of ferns and orchids. The lord of the manor is Colonel Tynte."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.