GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Moorlinch

"MOORLINCH, (or Murlinch), a parish in the hundred of Whitley, county Somerset, 3,f, miles from Shapwick railway station, and 7 E. of Bridgwater. The village, which is considerable and wholly agricultural, is situated on the Bath and Exeter road. The parish includes the hamlets of Burtle, Calcott, Chilton, Edington, Stawell, and Sutton-Mallett. The soil is chiefly clay on a substratum of blue and white lias, which is quarried for building and ornamental uses. Here was formerly a cell to the abbey of Glastonbury. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, with the curacies of Stawell and Sutton-Mallet annexed, value £500. The parish church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure, with a tower containing five bells. The register dates from 1550. In addition to the parish church are the following district churches, viz: Chilton-on-Polden with Edington, Burtle, and Catcott, the livings of which are all perpetual curacies, varying in value from £120 to £100. The parochial charities produce about £152 per annum. There is a National school, also Sunday schools. The Independents have a place of worship. Benjamin Cuff Greenhill, Esq., is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 25th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.