Towns & Parishes
"MUCHELNEY, a parish in the hundred of Pitney, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Langport, its railway station and post town, and 5 N.W. of Martock. The village, which is small, is situated on the river Parret, and on the turnpike road leading from Crewkerne to Langport. The parish includes the hamlets of Muchelney-Ham and Thorney. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil is of a loamy nature, with a subsoil of clay. The land is principally rich meadow, subject to inundation from the river Parret. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £336 11s. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £95." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003Parish Church: St Peter and St Paul.
Abstract: Describes the establishment of Christianity in the area from Saxon times and details the features of this 15th century church including the distinctive Tudor angels painted on the ceiling, the medieval and Victorian glass panels and the 12th century tiles from the nearby Abbey used around the altar. (Information from Penny Mercer)
Find help, report problems, or contribute information