Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Mudford
"MUDFORD, a parish in the hundred of Stone, county Somerset, 3 miles N.E. of Yeovil. Ilchester is its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Yeo, and is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlets of Hinton and Stock. The soil is of a clayey nature, with a subsoil of clay. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £322, and the vicarial for one of £225, besides £25 paid to the Vicar of Ashington. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £180, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a stone structure, with a tower containing a clock and five bells. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes."
"HINTON, a hamlet in the parish of Mudford, county Somerset, 3 miles N.E. of Yeovillage"
"SOCK, a hamlet in the parish of Mudford, county Somerset, 3 miles N.E. of Yeovillage"
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]