GENUKI Home page
Mudford Mudford     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Mudford

"MUDFORD, a parish in the hundred of Stone, county Somerset, 3 miles N.E. of Yeovil. Ilchester is its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Yeo, and is wholly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlets of Hinton and Stock. The soil is of a clayey nature, with a subsoil of clay. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £322, and the vicarial for one of £225, besides £25 paid to the Vicar of Ashington. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £180, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a stone structure, with a tower containing a clock and five bells. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes."

"HINTON, a hamlet in the parish of Mudford, county Somerset, 3 miles N.E. of Yeovillage"

"SOCK, a hamlet in the parish of Mudford, county Somerset, 3 miles N.E. of Yeovillage"

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.