GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Nailsea

"NAILSEA, a parish in the hundred of Portbury, county Somerset, 9 miles S.W. of Bristol, its post town. It is a station on the Bristol and Exeter railway. The village, which is of large extent, is situated on the road from Bristol to Clevedon. The parish includes the tythings of East, West, and Middle Nailsea. There are numerous collieries and stone quarries, which employ about half the population, also a tannery, brewery, corn and sawmills, and extensive glass-works. A large portion of moorland was enclosed in 1813 by Act of Parliament. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £430. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £300. The parish church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is an ancient stone structure with a lofty embattled tower crowned with pinnacles, and containing six bells. The church was thoroughly restored in 1861. The interior contains a curious stone pulpit richly sculptured, and is ascended by a winding flight of steps in the wall. There is also the district church called Grist Church, the living of which is a perpetual curacy value £120. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. There are National schools for both sexes. The Independents, Wesleyans, United Methodists, and Free Church have each a place of worship. Sir J. H. Greville Smyth, Bart., is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]