GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Nempnett Thrubwell

"NEMPNETT-THRUBWELL, a parish in the hundred of Keynsham, county Somerset, 8 miles N.E. of Axbridge, and 9 from Bristol. Blagdon is its post town. The parish, which is of small extent, is situated under the Mendip hills, near the river Yeo. At Fairyfield is an extensive barrow of an oval form, measuring 180 feet by 60, and 45 in height. Its summit is covered with ash trees and shrubs. On being opened in 1789 it was found to contain two rows of cells, running from S. to N., formed by immense stones set edgeways, and covered by others of larger dimensions. Skulls, a vast heap of bones, and other relics, having been discovered, it is conjectured to have been a work of the Druids, and the cemetery belonging to their great temple at Stanton-Drew, 3 miles distant. The village is small. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in dairy farming. The soil is of various quality, but chiefly good meadow land. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £265. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure with a tower containing five bells. The register dates from 1568. From the churchyard on Knap Hill an extensive view of the surrounding country is obtained. The charities produce about £30 per annum. The National school is situated in the parish of Butcomb, but serves for this parish also. The Baptists have a place of worship. Sir Charles Kemeys Tynte, Bart., is lord of the manor and chief landowner." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.