GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Newton St Loe

"NEWTON ST. LOE, a parish in the hundred of Wellow, county Somerset, 3½ miles W. of Bath, and 2 E. of the Twerton railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the Bristol railway, and the bridge over the river Avon. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £400, and the glebe comprises 36 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £426. The church, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is a stone structure, with a tower containing six bells. The windows of the church are of stained glass. It contains tablets of the Langton family; and in the churchyard is a marble monument to Captain Edward Gore Langton. The church was restored and enlarged in 1857. The parochial charities produce about £143 per annum, of which £72 goes to Jones's school. There are also a boys' Sunday-school, supported by the rector, and a girls' school, supported by voluntary contributions. Newton Park is the principal residence. William Gore Langton, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]