GENUKI Home page
North Curry North Curry     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - North Curry

"NORTH CURRY, a parish in the hundred of the same name, in the county of Somerset, 6 miles N.E. of Taunton. It is situated near the river Tone and the Great Western railway, which has a station at Taunton. It contains the chapelries of Stoke St. Gregory and West Hatch, and the tythings of Knapp, Lillesdon, and Wrantage, with the hamlet of Newport, formerly a borough, but now an insignificant place. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £325, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. There is a district church at West Hatch, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £65, also in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. Roman coins were found here in 1748, and in the Saxon times it was a royal borough. A fair is held on the first Tuesday in September for bullocks, sheep, and toys.

"BROADLANE, a hamlet in the parish and hundred of North Curry, in the county of Somerset, 6 miles to the E. of Taunton."

"KNAPP, a tything in the parish of North Curry, county Somerset, 6 miles W. of Langport."

"LILLESDON, a tything in the parish of North Curry, county Somerset, 6 miles W. of Langport."

"LILLISDON, a tything in the parish and hundred of North Curry, county Somerset, 6 miles S.E. of Taunton."

"NEWPORT, a hamlet in the tything of Wrantage and parish of North Curry, county Somerset, 5 miles E. by S. of Taunton, and 6 W. of Langport. It is situated near the Chard canal, and was formerly a borough, but is now a very insignificant place containing only three or four houses."

"WRANTAGE, a tything in the parish of North Curry, county Somerset, 7 miles S.W. of Langport, and 5 S.E. of Taunton. It is situated near the Chard canal, and includes the village of Newport.

WRAXALL, a parish in the hundred of Portbury, county Somerset, 7 miles S.W. of Bristol, and 2 from the nearest station on the Bristol and Exeter railway. The village is situated on the road from Bristol to Clevedon, and commands a view of the Bristol Channel and the hills of Monmouthshire. The parish includes the hamlet of Fairland, and part of Leigh Down, on which are traces of two encampments, where many Roman antiquities have been found. Scattered over the parish are several seats, as Wraxall House and Lodge, Belmont, Charlton House, Naish House, and Tynterfield. The surface is elevated, and the soil a rich loam. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £575, with 50 acres of glebe. The church, dedicated to All Saints, was repaired in 1850, and contains several brasses. The Wesleyans have a chapel at Fairland, where also is a National school. Sir J. H. Grevile Smyth, Bart., of Ashton Court, is lord of the manor and principal landowner."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.