GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

North Curry

"NORTH CURRY, a parish in the hundred of the same name, in the county of Somerset, 6 miles N.E. of Taunton. It is situated near the river Tone and the Great Western railway, which has a station at Taunton. It contains the chapelries of Stoke St. Gregory and West Hatch, and the tythings of Knapp, Lillesdon, and Wrantage, with the hamlet of Newport, formerly a borough, but now an insignificant place. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £325, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church is dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul. There is a district church at West Hatch, the living of which is a perpetual curacy,* value £65, also in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The parochial charities produce about £2 per annum. Roman coins were found here in 1748, and in the Saxon times it was a royal borough. A fair is held on the first Tuesday in September for bullocks, sheep, and toys." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Bibliography

Census

Church Records

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 16th December 2013 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.