Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for National Gazetteer (1868) - North Petherton

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

National Gazetteer (1868) - North Petherton

"NORTH PETHERTON, a parish in the hundred of North Petherton, county Somerset, 3 miles S.W. of Bridgwater, its post town, and 8 N.E. of Taunton. The parish, which is of large extent, is traversed by the Bristol and Exeter railway, the Bridgwater and Taunton canal, and the navigable river Parret. The parish includes Petherton Limit, and three other tythings, also the chapelries of North Newton and Northmoor Green, with six hamlets The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. Petty sessions are held monthly at the George Inn. The village, which was formerly a market town, consists of a well-built street on the road from Bridgwater to Taunton. The impropriation belongs to the landowners.

The great tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £1,018 16s., and the vicarial for £896 16s., also £70 payable to the perpetual curate of Newton Chapel, and £3 to the Vicar of Lyng. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £832. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a tower containing a clock and six bells. The register dates from 1558. There are also two district churches, viz: at Newton North and Northmoor Green, the livings of which are perpetual curacies, value. £70 and £100 respectively. The parochial charities produce about £55 per annum, of which £46 goes to Sir T. Wroth's school. There are British and National schools for both sexes. There are reading rooms, a police station, and a cemetery. Maunsell Grange is the principal residence. Sir A. F. A. Slade, Bart., is lord of the manor. There are two fairs, for cattle and pedlary, held on May 1st and the Monday prior to the 13th November.

"BANKLAND, a hamlet in the parish of North Petherton, and hundred of the same name, in the county of Somerset, 6 miles to the N.E. of Taunton."

"BUCKLAND FEE, a tything in the parish and hundred of North Petherton, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles to the S. of Bridgwater. It is near the Bristol and Exeter railway."

"HUNTWORTH, a hamlet in the parish of North Petherton, county Somerset, 2 miles S.E. of Bridgwater. It is situated near the river Parret, on the line of the Bristol railway."

"MOORLAND, a hamlet in the parish of North Petherton, county Somerset, 4 miles S.E. of Bridgwater. It is situated on the river Parret."

"NORTHMOOR, a village in the parish of North Petherton, county Somerset, 2 miles S. of Bridgwater. It is situated near the river Parret and Taunton canal. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £100, in the patronage of the Vicar of North Petherton."

"SHEARSTON, a hamlet in the parish of North Petherton, county Somerset, 2 miles S. of Bridgwater."

"TOWN DENISON, a tything in the parish of North Petherton, county Somerset, 2 wiles S. of Bridgwater."

"TUCKERTON, a hamlet in the parish of North Petherton, county Somerset, 2 miles S. of Bridgwater."

"WOOLMERSDON, a tything in the parish of North Petherton, county Somerset, 2 miles S. of Bridgwater."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]