GENUKI Home page
North Petherton North Petherton     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - North Petherton

"NORTH PETHERTON, a parish in the hundred of North Petherton, county Somerset, 3 miles S.W. of Bridgwater, its post town, and 8 N.E. of Taunton. The parish, which is of large extent, is traversed by the Bristol and Exeter railway, the Bridgwater and Taunton canal, and the navigable river Parret. The parish includes Petherton Limit, and three other tythings, also the chapelries of North Newton and Northmoor Green, with six hamlets The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. Petty sessions are held monthly at the George Inn. The village, which was formerly a market town, consists of a well-built street on the road from Bridgwater to Taunton. The impropriation belongs to the landowners.

The great tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £1,018 16s., and the vicarial for £896 16s., also £70 payable to the perpetual curate of Newton Chapel, and £3 to the Vicar of Lyng. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £832. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has a tower containing a clock and six bells. The register dates from 1558. There are also two district churches, viz: at Newton North and Northmoor Green, the livings of which are perpetual curacies, value. £70 and £100 respectively. The parochial charities produce about £55 per annum, of which £46 goes to Sir T. Wroth's school. There are British and National schools for both sexes. There are reading rooms, a police station, and a cemetery. Maunsell Grange is the principal residence. Sir A. F. A. Slade, Bart., is lord of the manor. There are two fairs, for cattle and pedlary, held on May 1st and the Monday prior to the 13th November.

"BANKLAND, a hamlet in the parish of North Petherton, and hundred of the same name, in the county of Somerset, 6 miles to the N.E. of Taunton."

"BUCKLAND FEE, a tything in the parish and hundred of North Petherton, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles to the S. of Bridgwater. It is near the Bristol and Exeter railway."

"HUNTWORTH, a hamlet in the parish of North Petherton, county Somerset, 2 miles S.E. of Bridgwater. It is situated near the river Parret, on the line of the Bristol railway."

"MOORLAND, a hamlet in the parish of North Petherton, county Somerset, 4 miles S.E. of Bridgwater. It is situated on the river Parret."

"NORTHMOOR, a village in the parish of North Petherton, county Somerset, 2 miles S. of Bridgwater. It is situated near the river Parret and Taunton canal. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £100, in the patronage of the Vicar of North Petherton."

"SHEARSTON, a hamlet in the parish of North Petherton, county Somerset, 2 miles S. of Bridgwater."

"TOWN DENISON, a tything in the parish of North Petherton, county Somerset, 2 wiles S. of Bridgwater."

"TUCKERTON, a hamlet in the parish of North Petherton, county Somerset, 2 miles S. of Bridgwater."

"WOOLMERSDON, a tything in the parish of North Petherton, county Somerset, 2 miles S. of Bridgwater."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]