GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Norton Sub Hamdon

"NORTON-SUB-HAMDON, a parish in the hundred of Houndsborough, county Somerset, 6 miles W. of Yeovil, its post town, and 4½ N. by E. of Crewkerne railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated in a wooded vale at the south-western extremity of Hamdon-hill, near the river Parret. It is chiefly agricultural, but the manufactures of sail-cloth and gloves are carried on to a small extent. The soil is of a sandy nature, with a subsoil of clay. Building-stone is extensively quarried. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £240. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £189. The church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, has an embattled tower crowned with pinnacles, and containing a clock and five bells. The busts of Henry VII. and his queen are sculptured in alto-relievo in the N. aisle. The register dates from 1538. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. The church has recently been restored. There is a National school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is held. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Major Quantock is lord of the manor and principal landowner." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Bibliography

References in the British Library:

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.