Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Nyland
"NYLAND, a parish in the hundred of Glaston-Twelve-Hides, county Somerset, 3 miles S.E. of Axbridge, and 6 N.W. of Wells. The parish, which is inconsiderable, includes the hamlet of Batcombe. It had a church, dedicated to St. Andrew, which King Kenewalch gave to Glastonbury Abbey in 670. It is now considered to belong to Glastonbury parish."
"BATCOMBE, a tything in the parish of Nyland, and hundred of Glaston-Twelve-Hides, in the county of Somerset, 5 miles from Wells."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]