GENUKI Home page
Nyland Nyland     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Nyland

"NYLAND, a parish in the hundred of Glaston-Twelve-Hides, county Somerset, 3 miles S.E. of Axbridge, and 6 N.W. of Wells. The parish, which is inconsiderable, includes the hamlet of Batcombe. It had a church, dedicated to St. Andrew, which King Kenewalch gave to Glastonbury Abbey in 670. It is now considered to belong to Glastonbury parish."

"BATCOMBE, a tything in the parish of Nyland, and hundred of Glaston-Twelve-Hides, in the county of Somerset, 5 miles from Wells."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 24th March 2003 - Brian Pears]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.