Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"OLD CLEEVE, a parish in the hundred of Williton, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet. It is situated near the Bristol Channel, and contains the chapelry of Leighland, and several hamlets In a secluded spot are the remains of Cleeve Abbey, founded by W. de Romare in the 12th century, and at Chapel Cleeve was a pilgrims' chapel, no traces of which now remain. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath a lid Wells, value £603, in the patronage of Rev. H. H. Beamish, incumbent. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has an old cross raised on four steps. There is a district church at Leighland, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £80, in the gift of the vicar. The charities produce about £18 per annum." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Andrew, Monks' Path, Church of England
- St Luke, Roadwater, Church of England
- St Mary, A39, Washford, Church of England
- Roadwater Methodist Church, Roadwater, Methodist
- Washford Methodist Church, A39, Washford, Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Old Cleeve area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
- ROADWATER: A hamlet in Old Cleeve district Somerset on the West Somerset mineral railway 4 miles SW of Watchet. (Watchet is a small seaport, terminal of the railway and 17 miles NW of Taunton). (Source: Imperial Gazetteer, 1871, publ. White. Information provided by Josie Taylor)
You can see pictures of Old Cleeve which are provided by:
- Free look-ups are offered in various sources for Old Cleeve parish, including:
- Parish Registers from 1660
- Census Records 1841-1891
- Some PCC and other wills
- Lay Subsidy and Protestation Returns 1641/2
Most of these records have not yet been indexed. for further details or with specific queries.
You can see the administrative areas
in which Old Cleeve has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST030410 (Lat/Lon: 51.159945, -3.388555), Old Cleeve which are provided by: