Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"OLD CLEEVE, a parish in the hundred of Williton, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet. It is situated near the Bristol Channel, and contains the chapelry of Leighland, and several hamlets In a secluded spot are the remains of Cleeve Abbey, founded by W. de Romare in the 12th century, and at Chapel Cleeve was a pilgrims' chapel, no traces of which now remain. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath a lid Wells, value £603, in the patronage of Rev. H. H. Beamish, incumbent. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has an old cross raised on four steps. There is a district church at Leighland, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £80, in the gift of the vicar. The charities produce about £18 per annum." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
- St Andrew, Monks' Path, Church of England
- St Luke, Roadwater, Church of England
- St Mary, A39, Washford, Church of England
- Roadwater Methodist Church, Roadwater, Methodist
- Washford Methodist Church, A39, Washford, Methodist
You can also perform a more selective search for
churches in the Old Cleeve area
that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help
identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the
of the churches marked on a map.
- ROADWATER: A hamlet in Old Cleeve district Somerset on the West Somerset mineral railway 4 miles SW of Watchet. (Watchet is a small seaport, terminal of the railway and 17 miles NW of Taunton). (Source: Imperial Gazetteer, 1871, publ. White. Information provided by Josie Taylor)
You can see pictures of Old Cleeve which are provided by:
- Free look-ups are offered in various sources for Old Cleeve parish, including:
- Parish Registers from 1660
- Census Records 1841-1891
- Some PCC and other wills
- Lay Subsidy and Protestation Returns 1641/2
Most of these records have not yet been indexed. for further details or with specific queries.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST030410 (Lat/Lon: 51.159945, -3.388555), Old Cleeve which are provided by: