Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for National Gazetteer (1868) - Old Cleeve

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

National Gazetteer (1868) - Old Cleeve

"OLD CLEEVE, a parish in the hundred of Williton, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet. It is situated near the Bristol Channel, and contains the chapelry of Leighland, and several hamlets In a secluded spot are the remains of Cleeve Abbey, founded by W. de Romare in the 12th century, and at Chapel Cleeve was a pilgrims' chapel, no traces of which now remain. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath a lid Wells, value £603, in the patronage of Rev. H. H. Beamish, incumbent. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has an old cross raised on four steps. There is a district church at Leighland, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £80, in the gift of the vicar. The charities produce about £18 per annum.

"BILBROOK, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, hundred of Williton, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles to the E. of Dunster."

"BINHAM, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, and hundred of Williton, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles from Watchet."

"BLUE ANCHOR, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, hundred of Williton, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles from Watchet. It is pleasantly seated on the coast of Bridgwater Bay."

"CHAPEL CLEEVE, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles W. of Watchet. Here formerly stood a chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary, and a hospital for pilgrims. Chapel Cleeve House is an edifice of the 15th century.

"CHIDGLEY, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet."

"CROYDON, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Dunster."

"GOLDSONCOTT, a hamlet in the parish of Old-Cleeve, hundred of Williton, county Somerset, 4 miles S.W. of Watchet."

"HOOKHILL, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet."

"HUNGERFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet."

"LONDON, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet. It is situated near the Bristol Channel, and is a meet for the West Somerset hounds."

"OLD-HOUSE, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet."

"PANCRAS, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet."

"PITT and PITTACRE, hamlets in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet."

"PRETTYS, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet."

"ROADWATER, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, hundred of Williton, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet, near the coast of the Bristol Channel."

"ROUGHMORE, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet."

"STAMBOROUGH, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 5 miles S.W. of Watchet."

"STICKLEPATH, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, near Watchet."

"STOUTS, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, near Watchet."

"TRAPHOLE, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 2 miles S.E. of Watchet."

"WARREN, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 1 mile E. of Minehead, on the Bristol Channel."

"WASHFORD, a hamlet in the parishes of Old Cleeve and St. Decuman, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet. It is a station on the West Somerset Mineral railway."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]