GENUKI Home page
Old Cleeve Old Cleeve     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Old Cleeve

"OLD CLEEVE, a parish in the hundred of Williton, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet. It is situated near the Bristol Channel, and contains the chapelry of Leighland, and several hamlets In a secluded spot are the remains of Cleeve Abbey, founded by W. de Romare in the 12th century, and at Chapel Cleeve was a pilgrims' chapel, no traces of which now remain. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath a lid Wells, value £603, in the patronage of Rev. H. H. Beamish, incumbent. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has an old cross raised on four steps. There is a district church at Leighland, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £80, in the gift of the vicar. The charities produce about £18 per annum.

"BILBROOK, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, hundred of Williton, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles to the E. of Dunster."

"BINHAM, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, and hundred of Williton, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles from Watchet."

"BLUE ANCHOR, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, hundred of Williton, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles from Watchet. It is pleasantly seated on the coast of Bridgwater Bay."

"CHAPEL CLEEVE, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles W. of Watchet. Here formerly stood a chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary, and a hospital for pilgrims. Chapel Cleeve House is an edifice of the 15th century.

"CHIDGLEY, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet."

"CROYDON, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Dunster."

"GOLDSONCOTT, a hamlet in the parish of Old-Cleeve, hundred of Williton, county Somerset, 4 miles S.W. of Watchet."

"HOOKHILL, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet."

"HUNGERFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet."

"LONDON, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet. It is situated near the Bristol Channel, and is a meet for the West Somerset hounds."

"OLD-HOUSE, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet."

"PANCRAS, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet."

"PITT and PITTACRE, hamlets in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet."

"PRETTYS, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet."

"ROADWATER, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, hundred of Williton, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet, near the coast of the Bristol Channel."

"ROUGHMORE, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet."

"STAMBOROUGH, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 5 miles S.W. of Watchet."

"STICKLEPATH, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, near Watchet."

"STOUTS, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, near Watchet."

"TRAPHOLE, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 2 miles S.E. of Watchet."

"WARREN, a hamlet in the parish of Old Cleeve, county Somerset, 1 mile E. of Minehead, on the Bristol Channel."

"WASHFORD, a hamlet in the parishes of Old Cleeve and St. Decuman, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet. It is a station on the West Somerset Mineral railway."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.