GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Old Cleeve

"OLD CLEEVE, a parish in the hundred of Williton, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet. It is situated near the Bristol Channel, and contains the chapelry of Leighland, and several hamlets In a secluded spot are the remains of Cleeve Abbey, founded by W. de Romare in the 12th century, and at Chapel Cleeve was a pilgrims' chapel, no traces of which now remain. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath a lid Wells, value £603, in the patronage of Rev. H. H. Beamish, incumbent. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has an old cross raised on four steps. There is a district church at Leighland, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, value £80, in the gift of the vicar. The charities produce about £18 per annum." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Church Records

Description and Travel

Genealogy

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]