"OTTERHAMPTON, a parish in the hundred of Cannington, county Somerset, 6 miles N.W. of Bridgwater, its post town, and 4½ from Nether Stowey. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the western bank of the river Parret, an arm of the Bristol Channel, and is wholly agricultural The soil consists of a black clay on a subsoil of limestone, which is quarried. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £220, and the glebe comprises 18 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £240. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient stone structure with a square tower containing four bells. A new chancel was built in 1844. The register dates from 1642. There is a Church school. The Independents have a place of worship."
"COMBWICH, (or Cummidge), a subport to Bridgwater in the parish of Otterhampton, in the county of Somerset, 4 miles N. W. of Bridgwater. It is situated at a ferry on the river Parret.
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]