GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Pawlett

"PAWLETT, a parish in the hundred of North Petherton, county Somerset, 4 miles N. of Bridgwater, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the navigable river Parret, and near the line of the Bristol railway. It is chiefly agricultural. It gives name to the Paulets of Amport, Marquises of Winchester. The great tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £200, and the vicarial for £349 10s. The glebe comprises 9 acres. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £264. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient stone edifice with a square tower, containing a clock and five bells. The register dates from 1667. There is a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Lord De Mauley is lord of the manor and sole landowner. Annual fairs are held on the last Mondays in August and October." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Church Records

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.