GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Pendomer

"PENDOMER, a parish in the hundred of Houndsborough, county Somerset, 4 miles S. by W. of Yeovil, its post town, and 2 N.E. of the Sutton Bingham railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is wholly agricultural. The soil consists of loam and clay, upon a subsoil of clay. Building-stone is quarried. At this place the Britons were defeated by the West Saxons in 659, and pursued as far as Petherton. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £177, and the glebe comprises 77 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £231. The church is of considerable antiquity, and contains a monument to a Knight Templar in chain armour. The register dates from 1658. W. H. Helyar, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]