GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Pilton

"PILTON, a parish chiefly in the hundred of Whitstone, but partly in that of Glaston-Twelve-Hides, county Somerset, 3 miles S.W. of Shepton-Mallet, its post town, and 5 S.E. of Wells. The village, which is irregularly built, is situated on the Fosse Way, and on the turnpike road leading to Glastonbury. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The parish comprises the hamlets of East and West Compton, Ham, and Westholme, and was a grange to Glastonbury Abbey. This parish is celebrated for its cheese, which is chiefly made in the hamlets of East and West Compton; cider is also made in large quantities, and there is an extensive brewery of long standing. A large portion of the land is in pasture, with some good arable interspersed. There are quarries of good building-stone. The appropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £245, and the vicarial for £185. The glebe comprises 29 acres." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.