Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
National Gazetteer (1868) - Pitcombe
"PITCOMBE, a parish in the hundred of Bruton, county Somerset, 1 mile S.W. of Bruton, its post town and railway station, on the Wilts, Somerset, and Weymouth line, and 5 miles from Wincanton. The village, which is of small extent, is situated between sloping hills, from which circumstance it takes its name. The parish is traversed by the Dorset Central railway, also by a branch of the river Brue, and by the road from Bruton to Castle Cary. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The surface forms gently sloping hills, intersected with coombs or hollows. The soil is of a sandy nature, but in the more elevated parts it consists of a stone brash with a subsoil of white rock. The parish comprises the hamlets of Cole, Discove, and Hadspen. In the neighbouring meadows the banks of the fishponds formerly belonging to Glastonbury Abbey may be traced. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £85. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, has a tower at the W. end containing three bells. It was rebuilt, with the exception of its tower, in 1858. In the churchyard is an ancient stone cross. The parochial charities produce about £13 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held."
"COLE, a hamlet in the parish of Pitcombe, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles S. W. of Bruton."
"HADSPEN, a township in the parish of Pitcombe, in the hundred of Bruton, county Somerset, 1 mile E. of Castle Cary. It contains about one half of the population of Pitcombe. Hadspen House is the principal residence."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]