GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Pitcombe

"PITCOMBE, a parish in the hundred of Bruton, county Somerset, 1 mile S.W. of Bruton, its post town and railway station, on the Wilts, Somerset, and Weymouth line, and 5 miles from Wincanton. The village, which is of small extent, is situated between sloping hills, from which circumstance it takes its name. The parish is traversed by the Dorset Central railway, also by a branch of the river Brue, and by the road from Bruton to Castle Cary. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The surface forms gently sloping hills, intersected with coombs or hollows. The soil is of a sandy nature, but in the more elevated parts it consists of a stone brash with a subsoil of white rock. The parish comprises the hamlets of Cole, Discove, and Hadspen. In the neighbouring meadows the banks of the fishponds formerly belonging to Glastonbury Abbey may be traced. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £85. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, has a tower at the W. end containing three bells. It was rebuilt, with the exception of its tower, in 1858. In the churchyard is an ancient stone cross. The parochial charities produce about £13 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.