GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Pitney

"PITNEY, a parish in the hundred of Pitney, county Somerset, 2½ miles E. of Langport, its post town and railway station, and 3 W. of Somerton. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the high road from Castle Cary to Wells, near the river Parret. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The soil is of a clayey nature, with a subsoil of limestone. The foundations of a Roman villa have been discovered in the neighbourhood, covering about 1½ acre of ground, and the remains of the mosaics show its former splendour. White and blue lias stone are quarried for building purposes and for pavements. The tithes were commuted for corn-rents under an Enclosure Act in 1807, and the glebe comprises 15 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £180. The church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, is an ancient stone edifice, with a tower containing four bells. The church contains an hourglass stand, formerly used by the Puritans, also an ancient holy-water stoop, used by the Roman Catholics. The register dates from 1623. There is a small National school. The Duke of Devonshire and W. Uttermare, Esq., are lords of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Census

Church Records

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.