GENUKI Home page
Portbury Portbury     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Portbury

"PORTBURY, a parish in the hundred of Portbury, county Somerset, 7 miles N.W. of Bristol, its post town. It is situated under the hills near Wansdyke, at a short distance S. of the navigable river Avon. The parish contains Caswell, Hamgreen, and 11 other tythings The village, which is small, and wholly agricultural, is intersected by the road between Bristol and Portishead. An Act for the construction of a pier, with approaches, was obtained in 1841. Stone is quarried for road-making, and for building purposes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £400, in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing five bells. The church has some niches. In the churchyard are two trees, one of which measures 19 feet in diameter. The parochial charities produce about £12 per annum. There is a parochial school for both sexes; also an infant school, in which a Sunday-school is held. Portbury was formerly a British or Roman station on the road to Portishead, whence was a passage to Caerleon, called by the Romans Isca Silurum. There was also an Austin cell to Bromere Priory, of which there are still traces. In the vicinity Roman coins, remains of buildings, and other antiquities, have been discovered. Sir William Abdy, Bart., is lord of the manor and sole landowner."

"ABBOT'S, a tything in the parish and hundred of Portbury, in the county of Somerset, 6 miles to the N.W. of Bristol. It was anciently a cell of the Augustine order to the priory of Bromere."

"CASWELL, a tything in the parish and hundred of Portbury, in the county of Somerset, 4 miles to the W. of Bristol."

"CLAPTON WICK, a tything in the parish of Portbury, in the county of Somerset, 6 miles N.W. of Bristol."

"COURT, a tything in the parish of Portbury, in the county of Somerset, 5 miles N.W. of Bristol."

"CROSS, a tything in the parish of Portbury, in the county of Somerset, 4 miles N.W. of Bristol."

"FAILAND, a tything in the parish of Portbury, county Somerset, 4 miles W. of Bristol. Failand House is the principal residence."

"HAM GREEN, a tything in the parish of Portbury, county Somerset, 5 miles W. of Bristol. There are several other small places of this name, one 5 miles E. of Chatham, another near Ross, and a third in Buckinghamshire, about 8 miles N.W. of Aylesbury."

"HAPPERTON, a tything in the parish of Portbury, county Somerset, 5 miles W.N.W. of Bristol."

"HONOR, a tything in the parish of Portbury, county Somerset, 5 miles W. of Bristol."

"PETERS, a tything in the parish of Portbury, county Somerset, 5 miles N.W. of Bristol."

"SHEEP WAY, (or Sheppy), a tything in the parish of Portbury, county Somerset, 5 miles N.W. of Bristol.

"WATCHHOUSE, a tything in the parish of Portbury, county Somerset, 6 miles N.W. of Bristol."

"WOOLCOMBE, a tything in the parish of Portbury, county Somerset, 5 miles N.W. of Bristol."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.