GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Portbury

"PORTBURY, a parish in the hundred of Portbury, county Somerset, 7 miles N.W. of Bristol, its post town. It is situated under the hills near Wansdyke, at a short distance S. of the navigable river Avon. The parish contains Caswell, Hamgreen, and 11 other tythings The village, which is small, and wholly agricultural, is intersected by the road between Bristol and Portishead. An Act for the construction of a pier, with approaches, was obtained in 1841. Stone is quarried for road-making, and for building purposes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £400, in the patronage of the Bishop of Worcester. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing five bells. The church has some niches. In the churchyard are two trees, one of which measures 19 feet in diameter. The parochial charities produce about £12 per annum. There is a parochial school for both sexes; also an infant school, in which a Sunday-school is held. Portbury was formerly a British or Roman station on the road to Portishead, whence was a passage to Caerleon, called by the Romans Isca Silurum. There was also an Austin cell to Bromere Priory, of which there are still traces. In the vicinity Roman coins, remains of buildings, and other antiquities, have been discovered. Sir William Abdy, Bart., is lord of the manor and sole landowner." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.