GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Priddy

"PRIDDY, a parish in the hundred of Wells Forum, county Somerset, 5 miles N.W. of Wells, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, and wholly agricultural, lies in a small hollow near the summit of the Mendip range of hills, at an elevation of nearly 1,000 feet above sea-level. A great portion of the land is in pasture. The soil is of a light nature, with a subsoil of limestone. A Roman camp exists in the neighbourhood, and there are traces of numerous lead and silver mines, supposed to have been worked by the Romans and Britons. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £40, and the vicarial for one of £43. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £232. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is an ancient stone structure with a tower containing three bells. There is a place of worship for Independents. The parochial charities produce about £23 per annum. The register dates from 1761. James Green, Esq., is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Bibliography

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.