GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Publow

"PUBLOW, a parish in the hundred of Keynsham, county Somerset, 5 miles S.E. of Bristol, its post town, and half a mile N.E. of Pensford. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Chew, a branch of the Avon, and is chiefly agricultural. The parish includes the hamlet of Woolard, There are collieries, and some traces of copper-ore. The soil is fertile, with a subsoil of red sandstone and white lias. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £266 16s. 1d., and the glebe comprises 64 acres. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient structure, with a square embattled tower containing six bells. The church underwent a thorough repair in 1860, but in the following year a part of the roof and summit was destroyed by lightning. The register dates from 1569. The charities consist in the interest of £500 for apprenticing boys of the parish. There are parochial and Sunday schools. The Wesleyans and Calvinists have each a place of worship. E. L. Popham, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Bibliography

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2003
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.