GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Rimpton

"RIMPTON, a parish in the hundred of Taunton, county Somerset, 5 miles N.W. of Sherborne, its post town, and 64 N.E. of Yeovil railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated at the head of the great valley of Taunton-Dean, and is wholly agricultural. The soil is a sandy loam, with a subsoil of clay. A small stream flows through the village on its way to the river Parret. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £209, and there are 48 acres of glebe. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £272, in the patronage of the Bishop of Winchester. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice, with a tower containing three bells. The church has 5 painted windows, 4 of which were the gift of Sir William Forbes, Bart. The register dates from 1537. The parochial charities produce about £5 per annum. There is a parochial school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. J. H. Kinglake, Esq., and A. W. Kinglake, Esq., are joint lords of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.