GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Rode

"RODE, (or Road) a parish in the hundred of Frome, county Somerset, 4 miles N.E. of Frome railway station, and 10 from Bath, its post town. The village, which is large, is situated on the river Frome, which separates it from the parish of Woolverton. It was formerly a market town, and had a cross nearly in the centre of the village, but has recently been removed. There are a cloth mill and considerable woollen dye-works at Shawford. The soil is chiefly light, though various, with a subsoil of clay. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £455, and the glebe contains 85 acres. The living is a rectory* annexed to that of Woolverton, in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £600. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is an ancient structure, with a square embattled tower containing a clock and six bells. The parochial charities produce about £4 per annum. The register dates from 1587. There is a National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans and Baptists have each a place of worship, the former having a school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school. Mrs. Jones, of Hinton, is lady of the manor. A large fair for the sale of cheese and cattle is held on the first Monday after 9th September." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.