GENUKI Home page
Ruishton Ruishton     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Ruishton

"RUISHTON, a parish in the hundred of Taunton, county Somerset, 2½ miles E. of Taunton, its post town. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the navigable river Tone, and is separated from the hamlet of Henlade by the London road. The parish is traversed on its N. side by the Bristol and Exeter railway, and includes the hamlet of Henlade. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The surface is elevated towards the S., but in the lower parts is flat and marshy. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £74. The church, dedicated to St. George, is situated close to the river, and is an ancient edifice with a square embattled tower of three stages, crowned with crocketed pinnacles, and containing three bells. The parochial charities produce about £54 per annum. Henlade House and Woodlands are the principal residences."

"HENLADE, a hamlet in the parish of Ruishton, county Somerset, 2 miles S.E. of Taunton."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.