GENUKI Home page
St Decuman St Decuman     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - St Decuman

"ST. DECUMAN, a parish in the hundred of Williton and Freemanners in the county of Somerset. It contains the borough of Watchet, and is 5 miles S.E. from Dunster. It is named after the hermit, St. Decumanus, who settled here from South Wales., Some of the inhabitants are employed in the woollen-mills. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £134, in the patronage of the Prebendary of St. Decumanus, in Wells Cathedral. The church is handsome and commodious, with a lofty tower. It contains two brasses, with tombs of the Sydenhams, Wyndhams, and Orchards. There are three chapels for Wesleyans and two for Baptists within this parish.

"BARDON, a hamlet in the parish of St. Decuman, and hundred of Williton, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles from Watchet."

"CHURCHTOWN, a hamlet in the parish of St. Decuman, in the hundred of Williton, in the county of Somerset, near Watchet."

"DONIFORD, a hamlet in the parish of St. Decuman, in the county of Somerset, 1 mile E. of Watchet. It is situated on the coast."

"FIVE BELLS, a hamlet in the parish of St. Decuman, hundred of Williton, county Somerset. It is situated in the neighbourhood of Watchet."

"HAYNE, a hamlet in the parish of St. Decuman, county Somerset, 2 miles from Watchet."

"HIGHBRIDGE, a hamlet in the parish of St. Decuman, county Somerset, 2 miles from Watchet, and 5 S.E. of Dunster."

"LYDDYMORE, a hamlet in the parish of St. Decuman, county Somerset, in the vicinity of Watchet."

"ORCHARD WYNDHAM, a hamlet in the parish of St. Decuman, county Somerset, 2 miles S. of Watchett, and 15 W. of Bridgwater. It is situated on a creek of the Bristol Channel, and was given at the Conquest to the Mohuns. It now belongs to the Wyndhams, who have an old seat with a chapel attached, built by Sir John Sydenham in 1490."

"RIDON, a hamlet in the parish of St. Decuman, county Somerset, near Watchet."

"SHELVES, a hamlet in the parish of St. Decuman, county Somerset, near Watchett."

"STICKLAND, a hamlet in the parish of St. Decuman, county Somerset, near Watchet."

"STREAM, a hamlet in the parish of St. Decuman, county Somerset, near Watchet."

"TIM WOOD, a hamlet in the parish of St. Decuman, county Somerset, 2 miles from Watchet."

"TOMBLANDS, a village in the parish of St. Decuman, county Somerset, near Watchet."

"WASHFORD, a hamlet in the parishes of Old Cleeve and St. Decuman, county Somerset, 2 miles S.W. of Watchet. It is a station on the West Somerset Mineral railway."

"WATERINGPLACE, a hamlet in the parish of St. Decuman, county Somerset, near Watchet."

"WHITEHALL, a hamlet in the parish of St. Decuman, county Somerset, 2 miles from Watchet."

"WIBBLE AND WIBBLEGATE, a hamlet in the parish of St. Decuman, county Somerset, about 2 miles from Watchet."

"YARD, a hamlet in the parish of St. Decuman, county Somerset, 3 miles from Watchett. The Devon and Somerset hounds meet at Yard Down."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.