GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Sampford Arundel

"SAMPFORD-ARUNDEL, a parish in the hundred of Milverton, county Somerset, 2¾ miles S.W. of Wellington, its post town and railway station, and 9½ S.W. of Taunton. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the great western road from Bath to Exeter, under Black Down hill. The parish is traversed by the line of the Great Western railway. The soil consists of a rich loam, with a subsoil of clay and sand. Sampford-Arundel gives name and title of baron to Lord Arundell of Wardour. The impropriate tithes, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £150, and the vicarial for £125. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £146. The church, dedicated to the Holy Cross, has an embattled tower containing five bells. The interior of the church contains a monument of C. Baker, Esq., sheriff of the county in 1724; also monuments to the Browns. The parochial charities produce about £3 per annum. There is a parochial school for both sexes. T. Were, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]