GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Seavington St Mary

"SEAVINGTON ST. MARY, a parish in the hundred of South Petherton, county Somerset, 3 miles E. of Ilminster, its post town, and 2½ S.W. of South Petherton. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the London and Exeter road, and is wholly agricultural. The soil chiefly consists of a sandy loam. The parish includes the tything of Seavington Abbott. The tithes, belonging to Earl Poulett, have been commuted for a rent-charge of £350, and those annexed to the Prebend of Elton for one of £40. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £50. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone structure, with a square tower containing three bells. There is a parochial school for both sexes. The Bible Christians have a place of worship. C. N. Welman, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Cemetery Records

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 18th November 2011 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.