GENUKI Home page
Selworthy Selworthy     Contents Contents

National Gazetteer (1868) - Selworthy

"SELWORTHY, a parish in the hundred of Carhampton, county Somerset, 3½ W. of Minehead, its post town, and 11 W. of the New Williton railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the high road from Minehead to Porlock, and near the Bristol Channel. The parish contains the hamlets of Allerford, Blackford, Lynch, and five others. Bury Castle, a Roman camp of elliptical form, is to be seen in the vicinity. The surface is crossed by two ridges of hills nearly at right angles. The soil is of a loamy character upon a subsoil of gravel and limestone, being fertile in the valleys, but light and stony in the higher grounds. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £270, and the glebe comprises 54 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £291. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient stone structure, with a plain embattled tower containing a clock and six bells. The church has a carved roof, and in the church-yard is a stone cross of considerable antiquity. The register dates from 1673. There is a National school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school at Holnicote. Holnicote is the principal residence. Sir T. D. Acland, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landowner."

"ALLERFORD, a tything in the parish of Selworthy, hundred of Carhampton, in the county of Somerset, 4 miles to the W. of Minehead."

"BLACKFORD MANOR, a hamlet in the parish of Selworthy, and hundred of Carhampton, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles to the W. of Minehead. It is seated in a hilly, pleasant spot, near the south coast of the Bristol Channel."

"BRANDY-STREET, a hamlet in the parish of Selworthy, hundred of Carhampton, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles to the W. of Minehead. It is seated in a beautiful district near the coast of the Bristol Channel."

"BUDDLE HILL, a hamlet in the parish of Selworthy, hundred of Carhampton, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles to the W. of Minehead. It is seated in a beautiful country, near the Bristol Channel."

"HOLMCOTE, a hamlet in the parish of Selworthy, county Somerset, 4 miles W. of Minehead."

"KNOWLE, a hamlet in the parish of Selworthy, county Somerset, 3 miles W. of Minehead."

"TIVINGTON, a hamlet in the parish of Selworthy, county Somerset, 3 miles W. of Minehead."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Valid HTML 4.0! These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 25th March 2003 - Brian Pears]

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.