GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Selworthy

"SELWORTHY, a parish in the hundred of Carhampton, county Somerset, 3½ W. of Minehead, its post town, and 11 W. of the New Williton railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the high road from Minehead to Porlock, and near the Bristol Channel. The parish contains the hamlets of Allerford, Blackford, Lynch, and five others. Bury Castle, a Roman camp of elliptical form, is to be seen in the vicinity. The surface is crossed by two ridges of hills nearly at right angles. The soil is of a loamy character upon a subsoil of gravel and limestone, being fertile in the valleys, but light and stony in the higher grounds. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £270, and the glebe comprises 54 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £291. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient stone structure, with a plain embattled tower containing a clock and six bells. The church has a carved roof, and in the church-yard is a stone cross of considerable antiquity. The register dates from 1673. There is a National school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school at Holnicote. Holnicote is the principal residence. Sir T. D. Acland, Bart., is lord of the manor and principal landowner." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
Parish Church: All Saint's

Archives and Libraries

Bibliography

Church Records

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2003
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.