GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Shapwick

"SHAPWICK, a parish in the hundred of Whitley, county Somerset, 4½ miles from Street, its post town, and 6½ S.W. of Glastonbury. It has a station on the Somerset and Dorset railway. The village, which is of small extent, and chiefly agricultural, is situated on the road from Bath to Exeter. The soil is of a clayey nature upon a subsoil of blue lias stone, which is quarried for building purposes. A canal from the Bristol Channel at Highbridge passes through the parish. There is a mineral spring called the Holy Well, the waters of which resemble in their properties those of Harrogate. The living is a vicarage with the perpetual curacy of Ashcroft annexed, in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £215. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a tower containing five bells. The interior of the church contains tablets of the Strangeway family. The church has recently undergone thorough restoration. The parochial charities produce about £8 per annum. There is a National school for both sexes. Shapwick House is the principal residence." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.