GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Shepton Mallet

"SHEPTON-MALLET, a parish, post and market town in the hundred of Whitstone, county Somerset, 5 miles E. of Wells, and 20 S.E. of Bristol. It is a station on the East Somerset railway. It is mentioned in the Domesday Survey as subordinate to the manor of Pilton, which had been granted by Ini, king of the West Saxons, to the Abbots of Glastonbury, by whom it was retained for above 400 years. After the Norman conquest the estate passed from Roger de Curcelle, a Norman noble, to the Malet or Mallet family, who resided in a strong castle at Curry Mallet, but taking part with the barons in the reign of John, their estates were forfeited to the crown. The property subsequently passed by purchase to. Sir Thomas Gournay, and, after various transitions, reverted to the crown in 1536. It was ultimately annexed to the dukedom of Cornwall, and at the present time is held by the Prince of Wales, who is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Bibliography

References in the British Library:

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]