GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Shipham

"SHIPHAM, a parish in the hundred of Winterstoke, county Somerset, 3 miles N. of Axbridge, 7 from Yatton railway station, and 1½ mile S.E. of Churchill. Bristol is its post town. The village is situated among the Mendip hills, and on the turnpike road from Bristol to Langport. A large portion of the inhabitants are employed in agriculture. The substratum abounds in minerals, and calamine, zinc, and lead mines were formerly in operation. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £132 17s., and the glebe comprises 14 acres. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Well, value £157, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Leonard, was erected in 1843, and has a tower containing five bells. The register dates from Elizabeth's reign. There is a National school for both sexes, in which a Sunday-school is also held. The Wesleyans and Baptists have each a place of worship. The Dean and Chapter of Wells are lords of the manor. Fairs are held on the 27th April and 17th November, chiefly for cattle." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]