GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

South Cadbury

"SOUTH CADBURY, a parish in the hundred of Catsash, in the county of Somerset, 1 mile to the S. of North Cadbury. Wincanton is its post town. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, in the patronage of J. Bennett, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Thomas-a-Becket. Near this village, on a ridge of hills, is the extensive ancient camp called Camalet, or Cadbury Castle, which was partly hewn out of the solid rock (blue lias), and defended by four trenches. Within the area is another entrenchment, called King Arthur's Palace, which has but one entrance, and is surrounded by six or seven trenches. The centre camp, the form of which is irregular and determined by the shape of the hill, covers an area of 30 acres. Its origin is unknown, but from the Roman relics discovered here it appears certain that it was at one time occupied by the Romans, if not first formed by them." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 26th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.