GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

South Petherton

"SOUTH PETHERTON, a parish, post and market town in the hundred of South Petherton, county Somerset, 5 miles E. of Ilminster, 5 N.W. of Crewkerne, and 3 S.W. of Martock station on the Yeovil branch of the Bristol and Exeter railway. It is situated at the bridge over the river Parret, or Pedder, from which the parish takes its name, and on which are several corn-mills. It contains the tythings of Compton-Durvill, South Harp, and Over Stratton. A portion of the inhabitants are employed in the manufacture of coarse linen, dowlas, sail-cloth, and kid gloves. The soil consists of clay and loam upon a subsoil of marlstone. The town, which is ancient, is stated by Camden to have been the residence of Ina, King of the West Saxons. It comprises three principal streets, which uniting form a triangle. Courts-leet for the manor and hundred are held in October." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Bibliography

References in the British Library:
Websites about South Petherton:

Cemetery Records

Church Records

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 18th November 2011 by Malcolm Daniels]