"SPAXTON, a parish in the hundred of Cannington, county Somerset, 6 miles W. of Bridgwater, its post town, and 3 from Nether Stowey. The village is situated under the Quantock hills. The parish includes the hamlets of Courtway and Merridge. The soil consists of red clay, with a subsoil of stone. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £594. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, has a square tower containing a clock and five bells. The register dates from 1558. The parochial charities produce about £106 per annum, of which £68 go to Cooke's school, almshouses, &c. There is a National school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school. The Baptists and Wesleyans have each a chapel. Lord Taunton is lord of the manor."
"COURTWAY, a hamlet in the parish of Spaxton, in the county of Somerset, 3 miles N.W. of Bridgwater."
"MERRIDGE, a hamlet in the parish of Spaxton, county Somerset, 4 miles W. of Bridgwater."