Towns & Parishes
"SPAXTON, a parish in the hundred of Cannington, county Somerset, 6 miles W. of Bridgwater, its post town, and 3 from Nether Stowey. The village is situated under the Quantock hills. The parish includes the hamlets of Courtway and Merridge. The soil consists of red clay, with a subsoil of stone. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £594. The church, dedicated to St. Margaret, has a square tower containing a clock and five bells. The register dates from 1558. The parochial charities produce about £106 per annum, of which £68 go to Cooke's school, almshouses, &c. There is a National school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school. The Baptists and Wesleyans have each a chapel. Lord Taunton is lord of the manor." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003
Transcriptions from the registers of Spaxton parish church provided by Roy Parkhouse.
Find help, report problems, or contribute information
[Last updated 24th October 2014 by Malcolm Daniels]