We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

National Gazetteer (1868) - Stogursey

"STOGURSEY, (or Stoke-courcy), a parish in the hundred of Cannington, county Somerset, 7 miles from Nether Stowey, its post town, and 8 W. of Bridgwater. The village is situated near the Bristol Channel, which bounds the parish on the N. The parish contains the hamlets of Burton, Knighton, Shurton, Stoford, Week, and Fairfield. It returned members to parliament in the reign of Edward III. In the vicinity are traces of the De Courcys' castle, erected by Fulk de Brent in Henry III.'s time. Stoke Point, which is within easy distance, extends about 4 miles into the sea. The soil consists of red clay upon a subsoil of stone. The living is a vicarage, with the curacy of Lilstock annexed, in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £389, in the patronage of Eton College. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has a tower with six bells; it formed part of a Benedictine priory, founded by Will de Falaise in Henry II.'s time, as a cell to the abbey of L'Onley, in Normandy. At the suppression it was valued at £58, and was given by Henry VI. to Eton College. The register dates from 1647. The parochial charities produce about £322 per annum, of which £208 go to almshouses, and Stodden's £84 for old maids above fifty years of age. A National school for both sexes was built in 1860 at the expense of Sir P. P. Acland, Bart., who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The Independents and Baptists have each a chapel. Fairs occur on 24th May, and 23rd September for cattle.

"BURTON, a hamlet in the parish of Stogursey, hundred of Cannington, in the county of Somerset, 6 miles to the N.W. of Bridgwater. It is seated near the coast of the Bristol Channel."

"FAIRFIELD, a hamlet in the parish of Stogursey, county Somerset, 7 miles N.W. of Bridgwater. Here is a meet for the West Somerset hounds."

"KNIGHTON, a hamlet in the parish of Stogursey, hundred Cannington, county Somerset, 7 miles N.W. of Bridgwater. It is situated on the coast of the Bristol Channel."

"SHURTON, a tything in the parish of Stogursey, county Somerset, 7 miles N.W. of Bridgwater, near the Bristol Channel."

"STOFORD, a hamlet in the parish of Stogursey, county Somerset, 6 miles N.W. of Bridgwater, near the bay."

"WEEK, a hamlet in the parish of Stogursey, county Somerset, 6 miles N.W. of Bridgwater."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
We are looking for somebody who can help with the maintenance of this page, which currently has a status of Pending - The section is active and has a maintainer assigned but a replacement maintainer is being sought. For more information about what helping us entails, look at our help wanted page. If you would like to consider helping us then please contact Malcolm Daniels.