GENUKI Home page
Somerset Somerset   Index of Parishes Somerset
Towns & Parishes
  Contents Contents   Neighbours Nearby places

Stogursey

"STOGURSEY, (or Stoke-courcy), a parish in the hundred of Cannington, county Somerset, 7 miles from Nether Stowey, its post town, and 8 W. of Bridgwater. The village is situated near the Bristol Channel, which bounds the parish on the N. The parish contains the hamlets of Burton, Knighton, Shurton, Stoford, Week, and Fairfield. It returned members to parliament in the reign of Edward III. In the vicinity are traces of the De Courcys' castle, erected by Fulk de Brent in Henry III.'s time. Stoke Point, which is within easy distance, extends about 4 miles into the sea. The soil consists of red clay upon a subsoil of stone. The living is a vicarage, with the curacy of Lilstock annexed, in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £389, in the patronage of Eton College. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, has a tower with six bells; it formed part of a Benedictine priory, founded by Will de Falaise in Henry II.'s time, as a cell to the abbey of L'Onley, in Normandy. At the suppression it was valued at £58, and was given by Henry VI. to Eton College. The register dates from 1647. The parochial charities produce about £322 per annum, of which £208 go to almshouses, and Stodden's £84 for old maids above fifty years of age. A National school for both sexes was built in 1860 at the expense of Sir P. P. Acland, Bart., who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The Independents and Baptists have each a chapel. Fairs occur on 24th May, and 23rd September for cattle." From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) Transcribed by Colin Hinson © 2003

Archives and Libraries

Church Records

Gazetteers

Maps

Find help, report problems, or contribute information


Valid HTML 4.0! © Copyright GENUKI and contributors, 2000-2002
Page created by Andy Perkins.
[Last updated: 28th October 2010 by Malcolm Daniels]
Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.