|Stoke St Gregory||Contents|
"STOKE ST. GREGORY, a parish in the hundred of North Curry, county Somerset, 8 miles N.E. of Taunton, its post town, 5 N.W. of Langport, and 1½ mile from Athelney Bridge railway station. The village is situated between the rivers Parret and Tone, near Athelney Island. The parish includes East Curry, Curryload, and Stathe. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bath and Wells, value £120, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Wells. The church, dedicated to St. Gregory, is an ancient edifice, with a tower and five bells. The register dates from 1561. There are National schools for both sexes, also a Sunday-school held at the vestry-room. The Bible Christians have a chapel. The Dean and Chapter of Wells are lords of the manor.
"CURRY-LOAD, a tything in the parish of Stoke St. Gregory, in the county of Somerset, 2 miles from East Curry, and 6 N.E. of Taunton."
"EAST CURRY, a tything in the parish of Stoke St. Gregory, in the county of Somerset, 6 miles N.E. of Taunton.
"STATHE, a tything in the parish of Stoke St. Gregory, county Somerset, 3 miles N.W. of Langport, on the river Parret."